Wednesday, July 25, 2012

New Direction

I am taking a new direction with this blog. It wasn't working for me and so I've decided to blog about what I hope to acquire one day, a homestead. Since we're renting we are limited to what we can do. There are still unlimited projects I can tackle. For my first venture, let's talk about home made clothes detergent. This is something I already do most of the time and while my idea may be a little different, there are as many ways to do this as there are people doing it.
My DH is a truck driver and often times ends up staying a night in a motel or eventually has to shower at a truck stop. So, while the original recipe calls for a specific kind of laundry soap, I grate up all the little tiny soaps that he brings home. Otherwise, these things end up taking over the bathroom cabinet.  I put the grated up soap in an old canning jar and sit it on my laundry room shelf. When washing clothes, I add about 1/4 cup of Borax, 1/4 cup of Washing soda and 1/4 cup of grated soap. Give or take, according to how dirty the clothes are.  And that's about it. And then I do what so many people around me think is so archaic....I hang my clothes on the line to dry!

1 comment: