Saturday, July 17, 2010

A couple of garlands and a couple of finds

I was feeling a little creative yesterday, so I made a couple of shabby chic garlands for the house. These were inspired from the mound of discarded clothing and bits and pieces cluttering my bedroom. Can't show you a picture of that, but here is what I created and a couple of thrift store finds from a recent shopping trip. I have begun my venture into shabbying and chicing my home. Much to the dismay of my children and hubby! This is what my first garland consisted of. Simply pages from a poetry book, coffee filters, white embroidery floss and vintage buttons. I cut out flowers in about 3 inch diameter sizes from pages and filters with pinking shears. Crinkled the filters a little and sewed two to a page cutout with a button in the center. Punched two holes in top to slide jute rope through.
I hung the paper flower garland on my bedroom window valance.

This is a close-up of the paper flower garland.


This is a close-up of a rag garland I made. I cut up an old skirt into rag strips and tied onto a jute type rope. It's accented with two different sized yo-yo's in pink and white. I hung it below my mantle piece of my fireplace.



This is the full view of my rag garland. It drapes across a hanging cherub in the center.




My first find was this tiny little praying cherub. I believe she is chalkware. I have her on my mantle at this time.





Found this cute, pink cherub napkin ring. She just looked so lonely. And she's in my favorite color. She's up on my mantle with the little white one.






2 comments: